History of Nogaon District

নওগাঁ জেলার সংক্ষিপ্ত ইতিহাস

In antiquity Naogaon district was a part of the Pundravardhana Kingdom. In the 8th century AD during his rule of King Dharmapala built the massive Buddhist monastesy at Paharpur in Badalgachi Upazila of Naogaon district. After the end of the rule of the Pala dynasty in 12th century AD the Kings of the Sen dynasty began to rule this region. In 1205 AD Ikhtiar Uddin Mohammad Bin Bokhtiar Khilji marked the beginning of muslim rule in the entire Bengal including Naogaon. After that, the British East India Company came to power to rule over Bengal following the war of Plassey in 1757. During the British rule Naogaon was established as a Subdivision under Rajshahi district in 1877. Subsequently on 1st march, 1984 Naogaon was turned into a district in the Rajshahi division.

নওগাঁ জেলা প্রচীনকালে পু-্রবর্ধন রাজ্যের অংশ ছিল। খ্রিস্টীয় অষ্টম শতকে রাজা ধর্মপাল এ অ ল শাসনকালে নওগাঁ জেলার বদলগাছি উপজেলার পাহাড়পুরে একটি সুবিশাল বৌদ্ধবিহার নির্মাণ করেন। পাল শাসনের অবসানের পরে দ্বাদশ শতকে সেন বংশীয় রাজারা এতদঅ ল শাসন করেন। ১২০৫ সালে ইখতিয়ার উদ্দীন মুহম্মদ বিন বখতিয়ার খিলজীর মাধ্যমে নওগাঁসহ সমগ্র বঙ্গ মুসলিম শাসনের অধীন চলে যায়। অতঃপর ১৭৫৭ সালে পলাশী যুদ্ধের পরে ব্রিটিশ ইস্ট ইন্ডিয়া কোম্পানী বঙ্গদেশের শাসনভার গ্রহণ করেন। ব্রিটিশ শাসনামলে ১৮৭৭ সালে রাজশাহী জেলার অন্তর্গত নওগাঁ নামে একটি মহকুমা প্রতিষ্ঠিত হয়া ১৯৮৪ সালে ১ মার্চ নওগাঁ মহকুমা পূর্ণাঙ্গরূপে একটি জেলায় রূপান্তরিত হয়।